Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunday Soup - May 26

Sunday Soup Is ... a little of this, a little of that, not too much work, and hopefully a tasty result.

Soup Dish ... book people are talking about:
Kindle Worlds Announcement.  Amazon is throwing out an interesting model to cash in on the enthusiastic world of fan-fic.  The originators of the world, the fan fic writers, and of course Amazon, all get a slice of the pie, always assuming that there are buyers for this work.  I have no particular dog in the fan-fic race (and there are some positively rabid ones), but the intellectual property ramifications are pretty interesting. As you might expect, Amazon is undoubtedly going to be the big winner in this particular deal, as all of the creators are essentially agreeing to hand over all rights, licensing, etc. to Amazon in exchange for a percentage of the e-story take.

Nalini Singh's latest hero (anti-hero, perhaps) granted an audience to Twitter users this week.  The Book Thingo blog posted a very nice summary of the session [edit: I forgot the link!], and while it says "spoilers" pretty prominently, I don't think there's much there to worry about.  The book releases June 4, so anticipation is building nicely.  It's one I'm particularly looking forward to.  Berkley also posted a Storify rendering of the Tweetfest, but unfortunately I don't think it was all that well done.  Skip it. (I must admit I'm intrigued by the Storify tool though.  I am looking forward to checking it out).

If you're not following Foz Meadows, you should be. That's all.

Smart Bitches takes on the sequel to my all time favorite romance. She gives it an F+. Of course, the sequels are never as good as the original, but if you like old skool, and you like over the top, you might check out this series -- there are 4 or 5 titles, and astonishingly, they are still in print.
What I'm reading
My favorite read last week was a Harlequin Presents by Maisey Yates, called The Couple Who Fooled The World.  It was just so sweet and funny, and she gives good tech speak.  It'll be out in a couple of weeks, and I'll post a review at that time.

The Cursed, by Alyssa Day.  I loved this author's Atlantis series, and I love this one too.  Like her Warriors of Atlantis series, there are all kinds of paranormal races and powers in this series.  The dark stuff is sufficiently scary, but in general this is a lighter-hearted series than many of your gritty UF offerings.  It reminds me a little of Christine Warren's Others series.

Some Words of Wisdom
My office building runs this TV thing in the elevator, called Captivate Networks.  (That video was taken in "my" building.)  Anyway, I stare at the little screen while I riding up to the 18th floor, either slurping a latte or waiting to be caffeinated from the free office coffee.  It runs headlines, weather, some ads, and the occasional random factoid.  Recently, it ran this memorable suggestion:
"Management Tip: Don't leave problems hanging. Try to solve them."
I was like OMG! Why have I never thought of that before?  And how much did they pay the person who wrote that?  Now you too may understand the secrets of a successful manager.  Who needs an MBA?

A more better pearl of readerly wisdom was passed my way via Jeffe Kennedy, by one McNally Jackson.  It's destined to become a classic, if you ask me.
I sometimes pretend to myself that I have insomnia, when what I really have is a good book and inadequate respect for tomorrow.
Can't you just picture that on a mug?

I learned a word today: tsundoku.  I bet you can relate.

On Tap... what soup isn't a little better with a slosh or two?

I am something of a serial monogamist with beers. When I find one I like, I default to it until I find a good reason to change my mind. I drank Alaskan Amber for several years, and last year a friend got me started on Blue Moon Belgian White.  I'm only starting to learn about anything more subtle than "too hoppy, too malty" in terms of figuring out what I like.

For example, after trying a couple of different lagers that both had a weird floral note, I decided that must be what lagers were like, and I didn't like them. Then one of my beer friends said, "Oh, no, that's just the type of hops they used."  The TYPE of hops? Now I have to pay attention to what KIND of hops are in it?  Sheesh.  Complicated.

Anyway, after trying and liking a few pilsners recently, I'm sensing an impending pilsner fling for the summer.  I just have to find the ones that are not too hoppy, and not too flowery, inspired by several pitchers of this delicious, delicious beverage: Roger's Pilsner.

That's it! Have a great week!

No comments:

Visitors

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP