Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sunday Soup - June 9

Sunday Soup is... a little of this, a little of that, not too much work, and hopefully a tasty result.

Soup Dish:  book people are talking about...
Well, to be honest, I dropped out of Twitter and my readerly Facebook feeds this week because I was worried about getting spoilered for Heart of Obsidian. So I'm a little more unplugged than usual. But here are a couple of things I tagged for the Soup:

HuffPo's list of 9 Books People Will Judge You For Reading.  One of the "books" is the entire category of romance.  Sigh.  They're not wrong, but my response is always, always, Dear Author's classic Apologia Scale.  I'm thinking about trying to work my way through some of the rest of that list.  Actually, I'm rather liking their column on books in general.  I'm not really great about reading on news sites, but perhaps I'll try to adopt a new habit. Because I really need another avenue for book recommendations -- my list is just not long enough!

Penelope, whom I follow on Twitter and whose blog I've enjoyed for years, had a short, pithy little rant that I think most readers will cheer about, and maybe a few authors (and I really don't have any in mind) might want to remember. Do you like the book?

Being more than a little bit geeky for tech, I found this article to be really inspiring.  I want to try all those apps: Book Publishing May Actually Save Itself, in Forbes, no less.

What I'm reading
I finished up Wanted: Wife, by Gwen Jones, a cute contemporary out from Avon last week.  You'll see the review this week from me (imagine! an actual post other than the Soup!)

I'm still in the middle of the Laura Wright and the Anna Campbell titles that I mentioned last week.  I had to set them aside for ...

Heart of Obsidian -- Oh my, this was everything I've come to expect from Nalini Singh, and then actually? A little bit more.  I wouldn't really recommend diving into the series with this book, but you really, really should be reading this.  I'm debating whether I will do a review, but I think I have Things To Say, so there will probably be something.

And then I really needed something completely different so even though I had two books in progress already, I switched into the latest Jill Shalvis title, a small-town contemp.  I haven't been reading the Lucky Harbor books prior to this, so I'm not sure if it leans more sweet-small-town or if the suspense-thriller angle will be more dominant, but either way it's good so far.

On Tap... what soup isn't a little better with a slosh or two?
So you know I like a bit of a sweet beer, so I tried out something called Big Sky Honey Ale.  It was OK, but I didn't really taste any honey in it which disappointed me a bit.  It was smooth and tasty and not too hoppy but otherwise unremarkable.  Also, it's gone, which may tell you something.  Whether it's about the beer or the week I had shall remain ambiguous.

No comments:

Visitors

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP